Friday, May 11, 2012

Game Design Log - Entry #10

Right, supposed to be doing a log thing...

So, motion is pretty much done now. I've got gravity as you'd have on the moon, and the lander itself is using numbers from the Apollo lander for it's mass and engine power. The only thing I don't have is limited fuel, because I couldn't wrap my head around that particular equation...

Using the numbers from the Apollo is interesting, because the engine is throttle-able to a point where(at least as I'm using it), you're at 40% throttle before you can even push the mass of the lander. I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing wrong or if that's actually how it's supposed to be, but I need to work on other things. It's workable, and as long as I include something on the HUD to show the the amount of thrust you'll actually be producing, it should be fine...

Speaking of HUDs! I realized that I can just draw strings on top of the game, and it'll work. I'm actually using this for debug purposes, currently showing the lander's rotation, throttle level, and potential delta-V with the throttle at that level.

Next up is graphics. I've taken to calling this "rocketbox" for now, as that's basically what it is. I'm just drawing a box on the screen showing where the rocket is at the moment. Doesn't rotate or anything(Hence why I have the rotation shown in the debug HUD)... So yeah. That's what I'm looking into at the moment. Currently looking into an array of points, and what can be done with that... If my thinking's right, I can do vector-like graphics, and get graphics and collisions with the same array of points. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment